TRADITIONAL THERAPY vs. NLP COACHING
- Is about working with a Patient.
- Asks the question WHY?
- Takes for granted that emotions are a sign that something is wrong and are therefore to be avoided.
- Generally works with a person’s past and the traumatic events therein , and seeks healing of those events.
- Diagnoses mental illnesses and attempts to deal with identifiable conditions in a person.
- Defines a Doctor-Patient relationship (where the Doctor has the solution) Defines a partner- ship of equals. (The Coach offers techniques and encourages the Client to find out his own solutions).
- Generally through conversation, encourages the patient to talk about and thereby resolve old pain.
- The focus is on reliving pain and symptoms to get rid of them.
- Is about fixing the Client by understanding and fixing his past.
- Relies on the DSM (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the APA) to diagnose pathology. Operates in a medical or clinical manner,
- Generally, because of transference, the therapist will not talk much about himself.
- Doctor targets a diagnosis for the patient and then puts forth his training in diagnosis and treatment of disease and then offers a path to healing.
- In most psychotherapy, the patient’s progress is time consuming and (can be) agonizing
- Focuses on the Client being broken, and somehow has to be fixed
- Is about working with a Client
- Asks the questions HOW, WHAT and WHAT IF? In NLP generally we do not ask WHY because as it is usually used it just gets reasons and not results. It gives us more content and not the structure or the process.
- Assumes emotions are natural and looks for the INTENTION and PURPOSE for the expression of those emotion
- Is interested in a person’s present and works to help them in Creating a compelling Future. (in our understanding we realize that in order to create the future you want you have to get rid of past obstacles)
- Assumes that the Client is healthy (IE: not broken) and wants to create a better future.
- Helps Client to discover the process by which s/he prevents the achievement of goals and objectives and learn new ways of thinking, new ways of looking at things. The addition of NLP techniques-helps build more control over inner capabilities thus creating a compelling and achievable future with the focus on outcomes.
- Remembers that Coaching is a model of learning and potentiality which focuses on the future and its achievable goals and outcomes.
- Is about understanding the past as a framework for the present and Creating the Future.
- When appropriate the Coach shares much about his experience which is vital to learning.
- The changes amaze most clients since they are so fast and so much fun.
- Focuses on actions, outcomes, and process, remembering that a person is perfectly capable of best performance and only has to get in touch with those capabilities.
- Coach aligns mentally with the Client and then through a discussion identifies the challenges, then provides coaching to move beyond them to create wins. In the process, the Client is responsible to achieve the Outcomes.
- We realize that the Client ALWAYS has control over his/her results.
NLP COACHING Vs. TRADITIONAL CONSULTING
“TRADITIONAL CONSULTANTS are recognized experts in their fields, who either sell their expert advice or perform their expert actions (or both) to complete a task on behalf of their clients. Consultants are hired to solve problems. With consulting, you have considerable control over the process and virtually no control over the results.
Consultants normally seek and take credit or acclaim for work done or achievements. Consultants must maintain their superior (expert) position and rarely form a close relationship with their clients. Consultants rarely affect the personal improvement of their clients.”
In NLP Coaching the Coach is going to work the Client to discover and utilize his most productive strategies, values, and other modalities already at his disposal but which he is not utilizing to the most for his benefit. The focus is on the Client in achieving his coaching goals and objectives.
NLP COACHING VS. CAREER COUNSELLING
“Career counsellors help their clients to get a job. Career counsellors might repackage clients to appear more hireable for their job interviews. Career counsellors do not help clients to become business owners or independent contractors. Career counsellors are mostly loyal to whoever pays them, and rarely form a strong bond with their clients”.
NLP Coaching assists the Client to determine his values, Metaprograms, strategies, positive and supportive decisions and belief structures, and future goals and outcomes. In this way the Coach helps the Client to move into the position, job or career best suited for his present and future. If the Client’s goal is to become an entrepreneur, business owner or independent contractor, NLP Coaching supports him in this development. If the Client’s goal is to simply achieve new objectives in his present career, NLP Coaching supports uncritically this outcome.
NLP COACHING VS. EDUCATORS
“Educators focus on you learning certain information or concepts. They involve themselves in your learning process to be sure you grasp the information or concept being conveyed. Generally, educators are experts in their fields, but not always. Educators will focus on you improving your knowledge, your understanding of concepts and your ability to learn.”
Most education is concerned about teaching conscious concepts to conscious minds. As we learned in the CYF segment of our coaching training, the most behavioural change occurs with the involvement and cooperation of the Unconscious Mind. Therefore the NLP Coach knows that he has to teach the Conscious Mind and the Unconscious Mind and appeal to both for the process of change to occur. According to a team led by Professor Gerard Hodgkinson of the Centre for Organizational Strategy, Learning and Change at Leeds University Business School,
“[…] Humans clearly need both conscious and non-conscious thought processes, but
it’s likely that neither is intrinsically ‘better’ than the other”[ …]
NLP COACHING VS. MENTORS
“Mentors focus on providing you sage advice and wisdom gathered through experience and knowledge when you ask for their insight. Mentors can be considered a library of human knowledge in the particular areas of life they have gained expertise.
Mentors normally focus on providing knowledge, understanding and direction, but have been known to help in your improvement as a person when you allow yourself to become the subject.” NLP COACHING
In NLP Coaching we don’t actually offer advice as to what to do – we Coach the Client HOW to utilize his own capabilities and already present strategies, values, etc.
By discovering, and understanding the Client’s intrinsic abilities, the Coach can assist in maximizing those abilities and so, to make possible for the Client to take the actions necessary to achieve his desired results. NLP Coaching concentrates on the Client implementing the best strategies to achieve the desired goals and objectives.
NLP COACHING VS. CAREER COUNSELLING
“Career counsellors help their clients to get a job. Career counsellors might repackage clients to appear more hireable for their job interviews. Career counsellors do not necessarily help their clients to change their careers, to become business owners or independent contractors. Career counsellors are mostly loyal to whoever pays them, and rarely form a strong bond with their clients.”
Career coaches assist their clients to discover their ideal income position or career. With their ideal career, clients will be able to “Go to Play” every day because they are doing what they love and excel at. Career coaches then assist their clients to get their ideal position or career, which may include becoming a business owner, an independent contractor, or an employee. Career coaches are totally loyal to their clients, and form a strong confidential bond.
NLP COACHING VS. SELF-HELP
“The self-help process: People who use the self-help process usually follow the advice of self- help books, Television shows, tapes, seminars, radio shows, and or Internet sites. When using the self-help process, you must provide the guidance, energy, support, wisdom, and direction to learn and do what you feel is necessary to accomplish your goals. The self-help process also requires you to conduct most if not all of the improving processes alone. Using the self-help process normally produces incompletion.”
In the NLP Coaching we realize that we can probably arrive at the same goals and outcomes with or without a Coach but the process would be more tedious and more difficult because we’re like the fish in water unable to describe our environment.
Many times we can’t traverse our own logical thinking and we need to bounce our ideas by somebody else like an NLP Coach. NLP coaching gives you the perspective of a Coach trained in process (not in content), who can then discover where the process is going wrong and thus Coach you to correct it. The feedback is essential in correcting mistakes and improving overall results.
NLP COACHING VS. TRADITIONAL PSYCHOTHERAPY
“Psychotherapy is an interpersonal, relational intervention used by trained psychotherapists to aid clients in problems of living. This usually includes increasing individual sense of well-being and reducing subjective discomforting experience through the process of lengthy discussion. Psychotherapists employ a range of techniques based on experiential relationship building, dialogue, communication and behaviour change and that are designed to improve the mental health of a Client or patient, or to improve group relationships (such as in a family)